If you happen to “like” my page on Facebook you would have seen the chocolate cupcakes and mini heart cakes I made yesterday. I was doing test bakes of my two favorite chocolate cake recipes to figure out which one will be getting served at my son’s second birthday.
Both recipes were topped with this yummy chocolate ganache. The hearts on top were made by melting some white chocolate chips into the microwave, putting the melted chips into a piping bag then piping them onto the ganache.
The first recipe was the chocolate zucchini recipe I served on my sushi splurge night. Since I was making mini cupcakes and regular sized cupcakes, I simply baked them at 325 degrees F on convection for 15 minutes and 20 minutes, respectively, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (other than melted chocolate if you happen to stab into a melted chocolate chip)!
The second recipe is a recipe that has not appeared on my blog yet but is the first cake I learned to make (from my mom). It is probably still my favorite chocolate cake recipe to this day and the best part is, it’s a one bowl cake.
One Bowl Chocolate Cake
Printable recipe here.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups butter milk or sour milk (add 1 Tbsp lemon juice to milk and let sit for 5 mins)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 325 degrees F if using a dark, non-stick pan in a convection oven. Spray pans with non-stick spray.
2. Combine all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a large mixing bowl. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
3. Bake mini muffins for 15 – 20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Bake cake for 30 – 35 minutes. Makes 24 mini muffins and a 9 x 13 cake.