It has been cold here lately, like really cold. I’m talking -40 with the windchill cold! I was craving a warm comfort food dessert, but didn’t want all the calories. Then I remembered this recipe I had seen a while ago for Crock Pot Baked Apples and figured it was worth trying. Well let me tell you it was delicious, easy, and relatively low in calories at just around 200 calories (or 5 weight watchers points). Keep in mind, that’s before adding the ice cream. 😉 Once again, I will give you the recipe with the modifications I made.
Slow Cooked Apple Crisp Apples
Printable recipe here.
- 6 gala apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (could be reduced as I found it pretty sweet)
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp quick oats
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter – melted (I would reduce slightly if reducing sugar next time)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple juice
1. In a small mixing bowl combine brown sugar, chopped pecans, oats, butter, and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
2. Core the apples, leaving about 1/2 inch of apple at the bottom (to keep the ingredients from running out). Essentially you are making the apples into bowls for the filling. I used a paring knife to do this.
3. Fill the apples with the filling, putting roughly equal amounts in each apple. Place in the crock pot.
4. Add apple juice and cook on high for 2 1/2 – 3 hours. Some of my apples cracked a little, which let me know they were close to being done. I checked for doneness by poking with a fork. They should be soft and the fork should glide right in.
5. Serve with vanilla ice cream (or in my case maple walnut frozen yogurt – as that’s what we had in the freezer) or by themselves. They are delicious, filling, and so easy to make. What more can you ask for in a dessert?!
*According to the original recipe, these can be refrigerated for 3 days, as long as they are placed in an airtight container.