In my search for some new beef recipes a few days ago, I came across a recipe for Beef Taco Bake and since I had all the ingredients in the house, I decided to give it a try. I did make a couple of modifications to the original recipe that I will add in below.
Beef Taco Bake
Printable recipe here.
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 2 as I have a lot of ground beef)
- 1 package taco seasoning (not in the original recipe, but I wanted to make sure the beef was flavourful)
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup thick and chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup taco sauce (not in the original recipe, but I wanted to kick up the flavour a bit)
- 6 flour or corn tortillas cut into 1 inch pieces (I used 12 small flour tortillas)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add beef and taco seasoning to skillet. Brown beef and drain off fat. Stir in tomato soup, salsa, milk, taco sauce, tortillas and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
2. Pour into a small roaster or glass baking dish. Cover. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle with the other half cup of cheese. Let cheese melt (or if you’re impatient like me throw it back into the oven until the cheese is melted). Serve with a spoonful of sour cream (if desired). Enjoy.
We all enjoyed this dish, but found that the tortillas were a little soggy the first night. After reheating in the oven for leftovers tonight, the tortillas actually seemed to firm up a bit and we loved it. Great recipe that I will definitely be making again.