I was looking over my recipes and realized I haven’t posted a recipe since mid-November. Yikes! I guess I was a little pre-occupied with making the quiet book, preparing for our vacation, relaxing while on vacation then all the madness that comes with the holiday season. I have a serious back-log of recipe posts to make because even though I haven’t been posting I have still been busy taking pictures. I plan to have a whole post devoted to all the dishes I prepared for my family’s traditional Ukrainian Christmas meal. But for now, I have a simple recipe perfect for snacking on the go or at home.
This recipe is one I received from my mother-in-law years ago and I have loved it since.
Printable recipe here.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used mini chocolate chips, so I only used about a half cup)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I like to use pecans or almonds)
- 1 300mL can of sweetened condensed milk (you can use low fat or regular)
*You could also add other delicious things like sunflower seeds, craisins, raisins, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with tin foil. Grease well.
2. Combine rolled oats and melted margarine in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add chocolate chips, coconut, and chopped nuts. Stir to combine.
4. Stir in condensed milk. Spread evenly into a pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
5. Cool for 5 – 10 minutes before flipping onto a wire rack. Remove tin foil. Cool completely then transfer to a cutting board or parchment paper and use a non-serrated knife to cut into bars. Makes 32 bars.