After making cheese biscuits the other day and mentioning that I sometimes put them on top of chicken pot pie I got to thinking maybe it was time to make some chicken pot pie. I have been making chicken pot pie (several versions of it) from a recipe in the ‘Favorite Brand Name Comfort Food’ cookbook that I’ve had for years. When I first stared making chicken pot pie I made it following this recipe to the letter. But then as time went on and I kept finding myself without any cream in the house or Pilsbury crescent rolls, so I began to make modifications to the recipe and have now come up with the following recipe:
Chicken Pot Pie
Printable recipe here.
- 2 large chicken breast halves
- 2 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 4 cups frozen, mixed vegetables
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dill weed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp celery salt (optional)
- 1/8 tsp paprika (optional)
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup chicken broth (reserved)
- 1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
1. Simmer chicken breasts in 2 cups chicken broth for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in the center. Shred with two forks, reserving broth.
2. Heat 1/4 cup of reserved chicken broth and cream of chicken soup over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add frozen, mixed vegetables. Cook 7 – 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Mix 1 Tbsp flour with 1 Tbsp cool water. Stir until smooth. Add to saucepan and cook for 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth; cook and stir until liquid thickens. Reduce heat and stir in 1/4 cup milk. Add chicken, onion powder, dill weed , salt, pepper, celery salt, and paprika.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spoon mixture into a greased 2 quart casserole. Make up a half batch of cheese biscuits. Drop by spoonfuls onto the top of the chicken mixture.