We eat a decent amount of meatballs in our house so about a month ago I made a large batch of meatballs. If you quadruple the following recipe, it makes about 110 meatballs (using a meatballer). I wish I could remember where I got these recipes from but they are recipes I wrote on a recipe card years ago and have been using them ever since.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (sometimes I used 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1/4 cup quick cooking oats)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
1. Defrost ground beef (if frozen)
2. Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, mixing well with your hands.
3. Form into balls. I used a meatballer.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Once I was done making these meatballs I let them cool, then portioned them into freezer bags so they could be added to sauces later for a quick, convenient meal.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
Printable recipe here
Ingredients: (I would double this recipe if you like pouring the sauce over rice):
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce.
1. Combine in sauce pan and cook on medium high, until thick. Then add half can of pineapple tidbits and juice. Add to meatballs and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
1. Place meatballs in the bottom of a crock pot. Combine all ingredients, except pineapple tidbits. Pour over meatballs. Cook on low for 4 – 5 hours. Add pineapple tidbits during the last half hour of cooking.
I like to serve these meatballs with rice as I like to spoon extra sauce over the rice. I was also lucky enough to find some fresh corn at the farmer’s market on the weekend to serve with the meatballs and rice.