I was feeling like trying out a new recipe tonight and preferably something light as the heat seems to curb my appetite a bit (yay). So I saw this great recipe on Pinterest today and decided to give it a try. I did make a few modifications such as omitting the celery so I will write up the recipe as I made it. Please forgive my lack of pictures as I was sort of rushing to get supper ready tonight as I was out running errands until 5 and then realized the peppers needed to bake for almost an hour.
- 1 can (10 oz) of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 large bell peppers (I used two red and one yellow)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups shredded marble cheese
- I prepared the chicken and rice ahead of time so I didn’t have so much work to do during the witching hour. Simmer chicken breasts in a saucepan for 20 minutes with 2 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Dice and store in the fridge until ready to stuff the peppers.
- Cook rice in a rice cooker and put in the fridge until ready to stuff the peppers.
- Heat mushroom soup, chicken broth, and onion soup mix in a saucepan until it bubbles.
- Stir in chicken. Heat through.
- Stir in rice, remove from heat.
- To assemble: halve peppers and remove stems, seeds, and membranes.
- Place pepper halves, cut side up on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Divide chicken/rice mixture among peppers (I had some extra, so I just gave that to the kids).
- Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning.
- Bake peppers, loosely covered with foil at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove foil, sprinkle cheese on top of each pepper. Return to the oven for 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!