Tonight I did some last-minute meal planning as I was trying to think up a way to use up the big bag of potatoes I have sitting in the pantry. Then it came to me, I love lemon roasted potatoes, and what better way to use up some of these potatoes. So I found this recipe online for Greek style roasted lemon potatoes and decided to give it a try. Then I figured I might as well make some more Greek food to go with it, so I made some chicken souvlaki and tzatziki sauce. It was all really good. I now have another meal for my supper rotation!
Greek Style Lemon Roasted Potatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used minced, dehydrated garlic)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon (I used 2 heaping teaspoons chicken bouillon powder)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered (I cut mine into eighths).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, water, garlic, lemon juice, thyme, rosemary, chicken bouillon powder, and pepper.
- Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of a medium baking dish. Pour the olive oil mixture over the potatoes. Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours in the preheated oven, turning occasionally, until tender but firm.
- About one half hour before the potatoes were done cooking, I poured additional lemon juice over the potatoes as I felt the lemon flavor was somewhat lacking. The addition of the lemon juice made them just perfect.
Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (I used sour cream because I didn’t have plain yogurt)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- To prepare souvlaki, combine the first five ingredients in a Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and shake to blend ingredients. Add chicken to the bag; Seal and shake to coat. Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove chicken from the bag; discard marinade. Thread the chicken onto 5 skewers.
- Bake in the oven @350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, turning once.
- Puree minced garlic and cucumber in a food processor.
- Strain mixture to get out all the liquid.
- Combine cucumber and garlic mixture, yogurt, lemon juice, and salt. Enjoy!