A little while ago I tried out a recipe for healthier banana bread using applesauce that I liked, but I didn’t have any applesauce in the house and I had some bananas that needed to be made into banana bread. So here is a less healthy version, but it is the banana bread recipe I have been using for years.
- 1 cup Mashed bananas (3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl stir the mashed banana and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in a small mixing bowl until frothy.
- Cream margarine and sugar in large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 eggs. Beat to mix. Add second 1/2 eggs. Beat in. Stir in mashed banana.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to moisten. Spoon into 9 x 5 inch loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in 350 degrees F* oven for about 1 hour until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into slices and enjoy!
I like to add chocolate chips to my banana bread. And sometimes I even like to add dried cranberries, or chopped walnuts or pecans.
*The loaf pan I have is a dark, non-stick pan so I like to reduce my oven temperature to 325 degrees F.