Tonight is the night I am doing a test bake for my son’s birthday. I decided to make a marble cake because it’s the best of both worlds. This is my first attempt at marble cake and it is so fun to make.
I found this recipe and it’s really good. Since my cake is being made in a 12 x 12 square cake pan, I doubled the recipe and it’s just the right amount. Here is the recipe and instructions with a couple of minor adjustments based on the reviews I read.
Marble Swirl Pound Cake:
- 4 cups white sugar
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 6 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar at low speed until blended. Then increase the speed and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of milk). Mix at low speed until just blended. Then increase speed to medium and mix for another 4 minutes.
- Take 5 cups of the batter and place in a medium bowl. Add the cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of milk. Blend with whisk until well blended.
- I sprayed the pan with cooking spray and then sprinkled flour in the bottom and tapped the pan until the flour covered the entire surface and then dumped out the excess. This makes the cake extremely easy to remove once cooled. Place 3/4 of the chocolate batter in the bottom of the pan. Spread out chocolate layer.
- Then pour white batter on top then spread around.
- Place drops of remaining chocolate batter on the surface. Then spread around
- Using a whisk, twist all batter around to create the marbled look.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Here is the finished cake.