I’ve been wanting to get this started for a couple of days now but have been getting sidetracked as I’ve been busy prepping for a ladies night I have coming up on Friday night.
But I found myself with some free time tonight and wanted to get this project done as the menu board looks pretty lonely hanging all by itself on that wall. And as luck would have it, by total fluke, the canvas I am using for this ribbon board project has the same dimensions as the picture frame I used for the menu board so they should look pretty good hanging side by side. I have a ribbon board that I had bought for my daughter’s room that I have been using until now, but it’s hot pink and really doesn’t work in my kitchen so I searched for a tutorial on how to make one and I came across this one. I’ve tweaked a few things, but I used this tutorial as a general guideline.
- Canvas (16″ x 20″) – I had a 2-pack just laying around that I had bought at Michaels a while ago
- Cotton batting (cut to the size of the canvas surface) – and another cut to the size of the back of the frame (optional)
- Fabric to cover the board with (I LOVE the Michael Miller fabric I found) – cut large enough to wrap around the canvas
- Coordinating ribbon
- tack pins (thumb tacks)
- glue gun
- staple gun
How it’s done:
- Cut cotton batting to the size of the surface of the canvas. I then used my glue gun to glue it to the surface in the corners (doesn’t have to be done, but I know I am likely to have it slide around and come out of position and not realize this until I have stapled the fabric to the frame).
- Cut fabric to a size that will wrap around the canvas. I cut my fabric 6″ bigger than the frame all the way around and found this to be the right amount for the particular canvas I am using. *A tip from the blog I got this idea from: Make sure the side of the fabric you want to see is facing down before proceeding to the next step!
- Secure the fabric to the back of your frame. I used a staple gun, but you could use thumbtacks, nails, or whatever else you choose. I used staples on the inside of the back of the frame so that the part of the frame that will be resting against the wall does not have any staples poking out (don’t need to be scratching up the wall).
- Secure your ribbon on the back of one of your corners. I used a glue gun as once again I wanted to avoid having fasteners of any sort on the back of the frame that could possibly rub against the wall. Pull this ribbon diagonally across the board to the opposite corner. Secure with a glue gun. As you can see from my picture, I started just beside the corner as I couldn’t get the ribbon to lay nicely if I started right on the corner. Continue laying ribbons in a diagonal pattern. *You need 6 pieces of ribbon total.
- Once you are happy with the layout of your ribbons, glue them all on the back of the canvas. Then you can trim all the ends if you left them a little long.
- Then push in your thumb tacks at all ribbon intersections (if that’s what you chose to use). You could also use buttons or whatever else your creative mind can come up with. I’ve seen these boards done before without putting anything at the intersections that are close to the edges. I liked the look of having them in at all intersections, so that’s what I did. To secure my thumb tacks so they don’t fall out, I simply flipped over the canvas then covered the back of the tack with hot glue from the glue gun.
- As an additional step, just to have a more finished look to the back of the canvas, I cut out another piece of the cotton batting the size of the back of the frame. I then ran beads of glue down all edges and glued it to the back.
- Now comes the time to pick a hanger. I haven’t finalized my decision yet, but will likely be going with either ribbon or saw tooth hangers. Once I decide, I’m sure I’ll add to the post along with a picture of it hanging up.
All in all, this was a nice, easy project that only took me a couple of hours to complete. Had I been a little more organized when I sat down to do this project it likely would have taken less time, but it can easily be done in an evening.
So I realized (after my husband pointed it out to me) that in my haste to get this post up I forgot to post a picture of the finished product, so here it is: